The San Pietro Museum is located in the monumental nunnery of the same name that was built in 1604 by Pietro Usimbardi on plans drawn up by Giorgio Vasari the Younger. It is the result of the merger between theCivic and Diocesan Museum of Sacred Art and the Conservatory of St. Peter Collection, the Romano Bilenchi Collection and the Walter Fusi Collection.
The exhibition retraces the history of the city through important works of art, in a constant dialogue between religion and the civic ambitions typical of the Medieval communes, which culminated in 1592 with the elevation of Terra di Colle to the official status of City, following the institution of the Diocese.
The visit begins on the first floor with the exhibition of sacred works of art that retell the history of faith in the Valdelsa, from the origins through to the founding of the Diocese of Colle, and then proceeds to rooms dedicated to civic collections from the 19th and 20th centuries, including works by Antonio Salvetti and Walter Fusi, two painters from Colle.
The itinerary concludes with a section dedicated to the collection put together by Roman Bilenchi, one of the most important Italian writers and intellectuals following the end of World War II. On display is a selection drawn from the rich library of the writer from Colle, together with works by Ottone Rosai, Moses Levy and Mino Maccari.
The museum is a member of the Colle Alta Museums system, along with the Ranuccio Bianchi Bandinelli Archaeological Museum.